Russell County Public Works
Russell County is located in the state of Kansas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,970. The largest city and county seat is Russell. Russell County Public Works is made up of the Road and Bridge Department, Noxious Weed Department, and the County Landfill.
Due to damages to roads and bridges caused by the recent rains, the County and various Townships have been forced to temporarily close the following roads until further notice. As repairs are made and roads are re-opened we will update this list. Thank you for your patience.
- 196th Street one mile from Stickney Rd. to Michaelis Rd. (Russell County)
- 15th Street Rd. (East Shoreline Rd.) 4 miles from 200th Blvd. to 203rd St.
- NO DETOUR has been established. Recommended to re-route on I-70 or Hwy 40 from Dorrance to Wilson to travel from Dorrance/Minooka park to Wilson State Park/Hell Creek areas.
All Russell County offices, including the Landfill, will be closed on Monday, May 27, 2019 in observance of Memorial Day. Have a safe holiday!
Russell County Highway Dept. is accepting applications for temporary summer help. Job duties to include operating mowers and work on Road & Bridge crew. Must be capable to work unsupervised and able to lift 75 lbs. Applicants must be 18 years of age and have a valid Kansas Driver’s License (CDL preferred). Position is subject to pre-employment drug test. EOE. Application & job description may be obtained at Russell County Highway Dept., 4288 U.S. Hwy 40, Russell, KS, or by calling (785) 483-4032, or click to download application Position open until filled.
With the warmer weather our road crews are working to repair and improve Russell County’s roadways. Please be patient and considerate for the safety of our road workers.
TIPS TO FOLLOW IN WORK ZONES
- Follow traffic control (signs, flaggers, cones, etc.)
- Stay alert and watch for workers
- Slow down!
- Expect short delays
- Allow ample space between vehicles and workers